Do you like to make a difference? Are you a decision maker? Have you got time to spare?
If so, why not consider giving some of your time to hearing School Admission Appeals?
Parents/guardians have the right to lodge an appeal when the Local Authority or Governing Body of a School / Academy has refused an application to admit a child. Lighthouse Schools Partnership (www.lsp.org.uk ) is a Multi-Academy Trust which operates a number of schools in North Somerset and Bath and North East Somerset and as such is responsible for arranging Independent Appeals Panels to hear appeals for its schools. Appeals are heard by a panel of trained volunteers, who are supported by an independent clerk. We are now looking for new volunteers to sit as lay members and members with experience in education.
- A strong sense of fair play and the ability to be impartial
- Well-developed communication, listening and interpersonal skills
- Good at working as part of a team but able to express an individual view
- Ability to ask probing questions in a sensitive manner
- Ability to balance arguments and to make decisions based upon fact and not emotion
- Ability to remain firm and calm under pressure
- Flexibility to give a few days throughout the year
Full training will be provided. Travel and subsistence expenses are also paid, as well as reimbursement of any childcare costs.
Eligible applicants must have excellent command of written and spoken English and must not be employees of Lighthouse Schools Partnership.
Applications are welcomed from teachers, teaching assistants, Governors, other education volunteers and also people who have no personal experience in the management or provision of education in any school.